How (not) to handle tenant checks

So, the tenant moved out yesterday, and I had to handle their payment for the moving fee and return their deposit. Simple enough, right? Nope.


Here's the thing: the tenant had paid the moving fee and deposit with two separate checks. Why? I have no idea. Maybe they just really love writing checks. Anyway, it was a total pain in the neck.


First, I had to deposit the moving fee check, which was a whole ordeal in itself. Have you ever tried to deposit a check that's written out to a strata building? It's like trying to teach a cat to play fetch. It's just not happening.


And then, I had to write out a separate check for the deposit refund. But of course, I didn't have the right checkbook with me, so I had to run to the store to buy a new one. I felt like a total doofus.


All in all, it was just an inefficient and unnecessary mess. Can't we just stick to one check for everything, people? Let's simplify our lives a little, huh?

Comments